Saturday, March 7, 2009

No MORE COUPONS!?

I have been the Coupon Queen for several years now. It is pretty much a necessity with my husband's military check. Coupons help to stretch the check. So, today as I am surfing the net, I came across a very shocking article that I have not heard any major news stations cover in these tough economic times.

http://industry.bnet.com/advertising/10001018/valassis-plan-to-end-newspaper-coupons-outrages-middle-america/

But, you better believe they are going to tell you what the First Lady wore today...or what some Rockstar ran his car into last night...like we care.

I read that Valassis (a major source of coupons in your Sunday paper) has decided that it will discontinue printing coupons in the paper. You will have the option to have the inserts mailed to you, but only one set. I often buy multiple sets, as do many other families that I know who use coupons.

Some people will not use coupons. They think it is a waste of time. It doesn't make a difference. Whatever. But, we use them. When I chose not to "coupon" for a few months before our last transfer, my husband went crazy when he found out what our groceries were costing us.

Without the coupons in the paper, I don't buy the paper. I have no need for it when I have the internet and television that gives me more than enough phony news for a lifetime. All I want is the coupons. I want to be able to save my $0.50 here and $0.75 there....it all adds up.

With coupons, I was able to trim our grocery budget from $400 a month to somewhere around $250 a month. The savings allows me to buy other groceries and goodies I would not normally be able to afford or put extra money towards bills.

I am pretty sure this decision is not going to go over well for the bottom line of most newspapers in this country, or the consumers who buy these papers for the coupons.

I hope that they change their minds...I guess I will see tomorrow morning when I make my weekly trip to get my paper.

1 comment: